What Is Educational Software?
Educational software is computer software that teaches people new skills or improves their knowledge of a subject. It's ideal for self-learning.
- Don't confuse educational software for the "student version" of software.
- It is also not to be confused with an "E-book", which is just an electronic version of a book that offers no interactivity.
What Can I Learn About?
Educational software covers a wide range of topics, targeted at different age groups and skill levels. Some of them include:
- Science and maths
- General computing skills
- Specific software/programs training
How Does It Differ From Books And Training Videos?
Educational software combines the best elements of books and videos: text and still pictures from books, plus sound and moving pictures from video. However, the main advantage of educational software is interactivity.
How Is It Interactive?
The software has computer-based activities which make the user apply their new knowledge. It might be a quiz, a learning game, or a step-by-step tutorial.
It's a good idea to choose the tasks that best suit your – or your child's – learning style. For example, a child that doesn't respond well to solving puzzles won't enjoy software that uses puzzles.
- Customisable: Tailor the program's skill level, and adjust it as the student develops.
- Multi-level: Like a video game that allows progression to harder levels, the activities and lessons get harder as the student learns more skills.
- Grade-based: The activities and lessons are graded in order of difficulty.
- Edutainment: Entertains while educating, to keep the student's mind from wandering.
- Progress-tracking: Like having a personal tutor, the software keeps track of the student's strengths and weaknesses. Some software will even adapt lessons to make sure that you're spending the most time on your weaknesses.
What Kind Of Computer Will I Need?
Check that your Mac or PC computer meets the System Requirements listed on the box. As a rule of thumb, educational software doesn't need super fast or powerful computers.
Is There Educational Software For Young Children?
There is a wide range of educational software for young children, with many featuring children's favourites like The Wiggles, Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh, Lego and more.
What Extras Are There?
- Some educational software gives you access to online extras like discussion forums and bonus material.
- Other educational software is sold with a study book or reference guide.
- Some books are sold with educational software as a package.