Gaming Accessories Buying Guide
Purchasing Gaming Accessories
There are a vast array of gaming accessories available for different platforms and different needs. Consider the following when shopping for gaming accessories:
- Always check system requirements and compatibility before making a purchase.
- Shop for accessories that match the type of games you play. If you like to play first-person shooters on your PC then look for a gaming mouse with high sensitivity.
- When shopping for wireless accessories, consider battery life and how you will charge them. The Xbox One controller, for example, can be purchased with a Play & Charge kit for greater convenience.
- Many of the top gamers prefer wired accessories as they are considered to be more reliable and more responsive. Bear this in mind if you are buying a gift for a gamer in your life.
When choosing gaming accessories, it is important to ensure that they will work with whatever gaming platform you prefer to use before you make a purchase.
- Xbox accessories do not work with PlayStation and vice versa. Always ensure that the accessory you are buying will work with your console.
- It is, however, possible to buy accessories that will work with both your console and your gaming PC. However, this may require you to install additional computer drivers.
- Always check system requirements carefully when shopping for gaming accessories for your PC to avoid disappointment.
Types of Gaming Accessories
Compact, lightweight and easy-to-hold, gaming controllers enable you to perform in-game actions in a split-second.
- Look out for cross-compatibility. For example, both the Xbox One and Sony DualShock 4 controllers can be connected to your PC (always check system requirements).
- When shopping for gaming controllers for your PC, look out for features such as analogue controls, customisable buttons and force feedback as they will help you react faster and get deeper into the game.
- It is possible to purchase controllers with limited edition graphics and styling. Keep your eye out for upcoming releases and be the envy of all your friends.
Gaming mice are an essential element of PC gaming. However, no two gaming mice are the same so it is important to shop for a mouse that is suited to the kind of games you enjoy playing.
- Shop for a mouse with programmable hot-keys and macros to set up your system with custom actions. These mice are particularly useful for MMORPGs.
- Mouse sensitivity (measured in DPI) has a huge impact on performance. High sensitivity mice (8200DPI and above) require less movement and are considered faster; low sensitivity mice (200DPI) are better for games that require finer control. If in doubt, opt for a mouse with a wide sensitivity range.
- Pay close attention to the amount of buttons and where they are located. As a general rule, more buttons means more options.
While a mouse mat may not seem like specialised equipment, it can actually have a significant impact on the performance of your mouse.
- Shop for a mouse mat that matches the size of your desk and the sensitivity of your mouse. If you play with low sensitivity, opt for largest mouse mat that you can accommodate.
- Consider the surface of a mouse mat. Some are designed for speed while and other are optimised to provide greater control. Reversible mats offer the best of both worlds.
- If you like to enjoy long gaming sessions, consider a mouse mat with a wrist rest as this will help you stay comfortable and focussed throughout.
Gaming keyboards are designed to improve reaction times, give you total control over your gaming set up and withstand the rigour of regular, intensive use.
- here are two principal types of keyboards, mechanical and membrane. Mechanical keyboards are often pricier but they tend to be more responsive, more reliable and more durable.
- Where possible, opt for a gaming keyboard that enables you to record on-the-fly macros so you can enjoy a greater level of control and faster reaction times.
- It is important to consider the connectivity of a gaming keyboard. Shopping for one with multiple USBs will increase functionality and convenience.
Gaming headsets help you communicate with your teammates effectively, locate enemies through sound and get your head in the game.
- For a fully immersive gaming experience, opt for a gaming headset with noise cancelling technology and sound directionality that will help you locate enemies before you see them.
- When shopping for wireless gaming headsets, always check battery life. If you like to enjoy long gaming sessions, opt for a headset that can last the pace.
- For ultimate comfort choose a lightweight pair with a suspended headband and cushioned ear pads. Models with a retractable mic mean you can move it out of your way when not in use.
Racing Wheels & Simulators
Racing wheels and simulators replicate the feel of some of the world’s best sports cars so you can get closer to the true experience of high-octane racing.
- Where possible, opt for a model with force feedback and pressure sensitive pedals. This will give you a feel for the car you are driving so you can tailor your race accordingly.
- For the most realistic and immersive experience possible, choose a racing simulator. These rigs feature a racing seat in a cockpit and include adjustable screen mounts.
- If you plan to expand your set up over time, consider opting for a model that offers additional accessories such as gear levers.
Xbox Live connects you with the world’s premier gaming community and gives you access to a host of content and free games.
- Xbox Live gives you access to an unparalleled online gaming experience and free games every month.
- Hundreds and thousands of dedicated Xbox servers combine to reduce lag and minimise the opportunities to cheat so every online gaming contest is settled on skill alone.
- There are Xbox Live subscriptions available of varying lengths to suit your budget.
Experience next-gen gaming on the Xbox One. Enjoy a host of exclusive games and media content plus your favourite Xbox 360 titles with backwards compatibility.
Take your gaming to the next level with a PS4. Lose yourself in outstanding gameplay, stunning graphics and smooth performance with Sony's powerful console.
Bring unbridled power to your home with a gaming desktop or laptop. Gaming PCs use dedicated graphic cards, fast processors and huge RAM to take you further.