Windows 10 Guide
Available for compatible PCs, tablets and phones, Windows 10 combines everything you love about previous versions of Windows with a host of new, innovative features. This guide explains what you need to know about Windows 10 and why it can become the one interface that powers all your devices.
Upgrade to Windows 10 today and enjoy the following benefits:
- Keep on top of things with Cortana, your digital assistant. Get timely reminders from your schedule and receive recommendations based on your interests so you never miss a beat.
- Annotate webpages, enjoy a streamlined reading experience and get one-click access to your favourite content with the all-new browser Microsoft Edge.
- Set up your PC, tablet or phone the way you want it. Customise the “Start” menu, personalise the display and even unlock your device using facial recognition.
- Get more done with improved multitasking features. Snap up to 4 windows together to access all the information and programs you need simultaneously.
- Stream your Xbox One to any Windows 10 device in your home or enjoy cross-device gaming between consoles and PCs to take gaming to new heights.
Familiar Yet New
Windows 10 retains the successes of previous Windows instalments and injects a host of new features that mean you’ll find it familiar and innovative all at once.
- Windows 10 sees the return of the “Start” button. Fully customisable, the “Start” menu gives you instant access to your favourite apps and programs without cluttering up your desktop.
- Windows 10 was designed in conjunction with the Windows Insider program — a collective of Windows fans — to ensure it includes all the features that users want to see.
- Windows 10 boasts more security features than any previous Windows instalments so your files and information are better protected.
Windows 10 can become the one interface that powers all your devices. Move seamlessly between compatible phones, tablets and PCs and pick up from where your last session ended.
- Windows 10 allows you to enjoy all your apps, files and content on one intuitive, familiar interface across multiple platforms.
- Cross-platform functionality means you can start a movie on your laptop then finish it on your tablet or plan a journey on your desktop then follow the route on your mobile.*
- What is more, Windows 10 has been optimised for all platforms so it looks as good on a mobile as it does on an 8K monitor.
Enjoy a more personalised, connected and engaging online experience with Microsoft Edge, the new web browser for Windows 10.
- The Edge browser allows you to annotate and highlight web pages then share them with your friends and colleagues with the push of a button.
- Edge boasts a streamlined reading experience that allows you to get closer to the content you love by removing distractions from your view.
- Get one-click access to all your favourites, downloads, reading lists and more through the Hub, Edge’s one-stop-shop for all your favourite online content.
Cortana - Your Personal Assistant
Cortana can make your personal and professional lifer easier by offering timely reminders, helping you find files and even delivering some comic relief when you need it the most.
- Cortana is your digital assistant. She can search for local and online content, provide recommendations based on your behaviour and even tell you a joke when you’re down.
- Cortana answers your beckon call. Teach Cortana your voice and she can be ready to help you as soon as you say the words “hey Cortana”.
- Cortana delivers timely insights. For example, she can tell you to buy milk if you are at the supermarket and to wish your dad a happy birthday if he calls on the day.
Multi-tasking and Productivity
Windows 10 was designed for doing. A host of multitasking and cross-platform features enable you to stay on top of your workload regardless of whether you’re at your desk or on-the-go.
- Windows 10 allows you to snap up to four separate windows to your desktop at once so you can surf the web, edit documents, send emails and update your calendar simultaneously.
- Set up multiple desktops for each of your projects and move between them at the touch of a button.
- Cross-platform functionality means you can create documents on your PC, update them on your Windows 10 phone then present them on a Windows 10 tablet with ease.
Apps and Content
Windows 10 is packed with functions, features and apps that help you get more out of your devices from the moment you upgrade.
- Windows 10 comes with cloud-based storage services such as OneDrive and OneNote that enable you to access your files, notes and photos from anywhere.*
- Windows 10 also includes maps, mail, photos, films & TV and Groove Music, Microsoft’s online music resource that allows you to stream and download your favourite tracks.1
- The Windows Store helps you make Windows 10 your own. Download apps and content to your PC, phone or tablet with ease and increase the ways you engage with your devices.
A Personal Interface
Windows 10 is Microsoft’s most intuitive operating system yet. However, it is also hugely customisable so you can set your devices up in whatever way suits you best.
- Set things up your way. Organise the “Start” screen, add shortcuts to the taskbar, choose a desktop theme that matches your personality and much more.
- Touch, type, write and even issue voice commands. Windows 10 is Microsoft’s most versatile user interface to date.
- Windows “Hello” uses facial recognition software to unlock your device. It even takes the time to welcome you back for a faster, more familiar experience.
Designed for Gamers
Windows 10 takes gaming to the next level. Stream your Xbox One to Windows 10 devices, enjoy cross-device gaming and get social through the Xbox app.
- Now you don’t even need a TV to play your Xbox One. Stream your game to any Windows 10 device in your home and play wherever it suits you.2
- Cross-device play means you can team up (or compete) with gamers on both PC and console platforms, meaning the gaming party just got bigger. 3
- The Xbox app for Windows 10 keeps you connected to the world’s premier gaming community so you can engage with friends and share your achievements with the world.*
How to Upgrade
Upgrading to Windows 10 is straightforward. Either purchase a new device with Windows 10 already installed or download the upgrade for your existing Window 8.1 device — completely free of charge.
- Join over 200m users and upgrade to the full version of Windows 10 for free. But don’t delay — this offer ends on July 29, 2016.
- If you’re upgrading from Windows 8.1, you’ll find that your files will be waiting for you when you launch Windows 10 for the first time.
- The Microsoft Answer Desk is always on hand to answer any questions you have about the upgrade process so everything runs as smoothly as possible.