Xbox One Buying Guide
Purchasing an Xbox One
There are a couple of different Xbox consoles and many accessories to choose from. Keep the following in mind when purchasing:
- When shopping for games for younger players, be sure to check age ratings. Some titles contain adult content that is only suitable for mature audiences.
- One of the most attractive features of the Xbox One is that it offers backwards compatibility with your Xbox 360 games. This means you can re-live all your favourite adventures on your next-gen console.
- Xbox One also offers some outstanding online multiplayer, multi-device gaming features. To realise the full potential of your console, factor in the cost of an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
- Be aware that the Xbox One is more than just a gaming console. It is also a first-rate media hub that gives you access to a host of apps, content and streaming services such as Netflix.
Xbox One Console
The Xbox One console will undoubtedly be the most important piece of hardware in your gaming set up. There is some variety between models so be aware of the following before you make a purchase:
- You can purchase an Xbox One console in its original launch size or a re-vamped, smaller version named Xbox One S. The Xbox One S boasts 4K streaming and HDR visuals for breath-taking image colour and quality.
- Xbox One is available with a 500GB, 1TB or 2TB hard drive to match your media and gaming needs. If you plan to amass an enviable collection, consider opting for a console with a larger HDD.
- The most cost effective and easiest way to shop for a console and games is to buy an Xbox One bundle. Bundles are available with a wide variety of games so you can get your collection off to the best possible start.
Xbox One Controller
The Xbox One controller is essential to play any game. Lightweight, ergonomic and easy-to-use, it delivers a responsive gaming experience.
- Most Xbox One controllers feature a built-in stereo input that allows you to plug a wired headset directly into your controller so you don’t have to worry about cable length.
- Xbox One controllers are powered by AA batteries, but with an Xbox Play & Charge Kit your gaming session doesn’t have to end when the batteries run out. Play & Charge Kits are sold individually or with controllers.
- The Xbox One S ships with a re-imagined Xbox controller that features improved range and Bluetooth connectivity so you can use it to play your favourite games on your Windows 10 PC or mobile devices too.
Xbox One Headphones & Headsets
Immersive audio and in-game chat can make for a more rewarding gaming experience and Xbox One is compatible with a wide selection of headphones and headsets.
- If you game for hours at a time, then it is important to consider comfort when shopping for headphones and headsets. Where applicable, look for cushioned earcups, lightweight designs and a suspended headband.
- Headphones and headsets with noise-cancelling technology work to create the most immersive gaming experience. Headphones with sound directionality can alert you to activity around you like surround sound.
- Gaming headsets allow you to enjoy crystal clear in-game chat. For the least intrusive experience, opt for a headset with a retractable mic or a compact Bluetooth earpiece headset.
Xbox Live Gold
Xbox Live Gold is a subscription service that allows you to play online, access free games and enjoy your Xbox games across your Windows 10 devices.
- Your Xbox Live subscription gives you access to two free games each month so you are never short of new titles to play. Subscribers also amass credits every time they participate which can be spent in the Xbox One store.
- Xbox Play Anywhere allows you to purchase compatible digital titles on your Xbox One and play them across all your Windows 10 PCs regardless of your location. Pick up on one device exactly where you left off on another.
- Xbox Live Gold can be accessed directly through your Xbox One or given as a gift voucher to friends and family. Vouchers come in varying subscription durations.
Xbox One Games
Xbox One offers a huge catalogue of titles across virtually every genre imaginable. From FPS to sports-sims, Xbox One has the games you’ll love to play.
- One of the defining features of the Xbox One is backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games. This means you can enjoy thousands of titles on your console so you’ll never be left wanting.
- When purchasing games as gifts, be sure to pay attention to age ratings as some titles contain adult material that younger players may find disturbing.
- Xbox One games are available as digital downloads or on disc. Your decision between the two should be dictated by how much space you have for discs and the speed of your Internet connection.
Get the most from your Xbox One with a new TV. Shop the latest technology including 4K UHD, HDR and curved screens to immerse yourself in your games with the best picture quality.
Get deeper into your Xbox games with surround sound. Add a multi-channel or multiroom wireless system to your home to enjoy high-quality audio and a more immersive experience.
Get more from the services you use on your Xbox One with a keyboard. Type web addresses, chat responses and more to ensure you don’t waste time scrolling between the characters on a virtual keyboard.