With so many health and fitness benefits, it’s easy to see why former Russian Olympic gold medal swimmer Aleksandr Popov had this to say about swimming: “The water is your friend. You don’t have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move”.
Swimming is a fun and healthy activity that you can continue throughout your life. The list of advantages includes: increased muscle tone and strength; improved flexibility; and improved cardio and lung capacity. Let’s have a more detailed look at the top five health benefits of swimming:
- Swimming helps to improve and strengthen the most important muscle in our body – the heart. It’s an “aerobic exercise”, meaning it will improve your cardiovascular fitness and will keep your heart rate up. Increase your performance and monitor your heart rate level with the latest range of heart rate monitors available at Harvey Norman.
- Swimming is a low-impact activity; it’s a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise. The pool is the perfect place to work stiff, sore muscles and joints. People who suffer from arthritis, those recovering from injuries or who are overweight would benefit from swimming as the water helps support your weight and can reduce the pressure on your joints and muscles.
- Swimming will tone, build and strengthen muscles throughout your body, while stretching before and after swimming will help improve flexibility in your muscles. It provides a full-body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used. The more you swim, the more flexible your muscles will become.
- Swimming is an exercise which requires proper breathing technique, thus improving your lung capacity. While swimming, you breathe in warm, moist air, making swimming easy on the lungs and especially beneficial as a form of exercise for asthmatics and those who suffer breathing difficulties.
- Swimming can be a great way to help maintain a healthy weight. It’s an easy way to burn calories without placing too much stress on the body. Exercising, along with healthy eating, is an essential part of keeping fit and maintaining a balanced lifestyle.
Harvey Norman stocks all the essential fitness accessories, including the ones you need for an enjoyable swimming experience. With a wide range of swimming and water sports products available, it won’t take long before you’re hitting personal best lap times and dreaming of Olympic gold.
With so many health and fitness benefits from swimming, what are you waiting for? Jump in the pool and do some laps!