The winners of the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards have been announced! Celebrating the very best in Australian produce, this year’s honours have shown us just how amazing this country’s food scene truly is.
Read on to learn how the Produce Awards have evolved in a year beset by challenges – and see who took home the gold.
Plus, find out about the special All-Star Dinner virtual event that you’re invited to!
2020 Produce Awards: A Year Like No Other
For 15 years, the delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards have been recognising the finest in Australian produce – but, as we all sadly know, there’s never been a year quite like this one. Fighting battles with bushfires, drought, floods and a global pandemic, Australian producers have had immeasurable hurdles to overcome.
Inevitably, the pandemic too has had an effect on the awards themselves. With consideration to the current state of affairs, it was decided that for the first time, an in-person awards night wouldn’t be held. As with society at large, however, the Produce Awards have innovated and adapted.
In lieu of an official ceremony, the delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards are digitally hosting an all-star dinner party – and you can watch it for free!
An All Star Produce Awards Dinner Party
At 7pm (AEDT) on Monday 26th of October, four of the biggest names in the Australian cooking scene will join hosts Kerrie McCallum (Editorial Director, delicious.) and Matt Moran (Chef and Produce Awards Ambassador) for this all-star virtual event. Chefs Danielle Alvarez, Neil Perry, Josh Niland and Colin Fassnidge will take a selection of this year’s winning produce from across the Earth, Sea, Paddock and Dairy categories and show viewers inspirational ways to cook with it.
On top of that, comedian Merrick Watts and wine expert Mike Bennie will join the festivities from behind the bar – so you can expect plenty of laughs and great drink ideas to pair with each dish, all enjoyed from the comfort of your own home.
To sign up for your free spot visit: delicious.com.au/allstardinner
Produce To You Boxes
In addition to the All-Star dinner, delicious. have put together a special Produce to You box, so you can taste selected award winning food for yourself. Partnering with Vic’s Premium Quality Meat, the Produce to You box includes:
• 2x Blackmore Fullblood Wagyu Steaks • 1x 750ml bottle Gemtree Wines Shiraz or Savagnin • 200g George Cheese from Bruny Island Cheese Co. • 500g Malfroy’s Gold Honey Jar • 1kg mixed bag of Andean Sunrise & Red Blush Potatoes from The Gourmet Potato Kadwell • A range of Stix Farm fresh seasonal vegetables • 500g Pepe Saya Cultured Butter • A copy of delicious. magazine
To learn more about how to get your hands on this special Produce To You box, click here.
Kerrie McCallum & Gerry Harvey on the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards
Upon the announcement of the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards winners, both Kerrie McCallum, the Editorial Director of delicious. magazine, and Gerry Harvey, the executive chairman of Harvey Norman and a dedicated Australian producer himself, penned letters for the November 2020 issue of delicious. magazine.
“2020 has been a year like no other. Yet, once again, Australian producers against all odds [have] come me out on top”, writes Gerry.
“Under [trying] circumstances, the talent, hard-work and entrepreneurial spirit of our local producers has delivered us top produce. Our kitchen tables have never looked or tasted so good, just when we needed it the most.
“Congratulations to every nominee and winner of the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards. You are truly the best in the world.”
In Kerrie’s letter, she too spoke of the hardship faced by Australian producers over the past year.
“2020 has undoubtedly been the most challenging time for producers in the 15-year history of the delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards, which is dedicated to unearthing the best, most ethical and sustainable produce and producers in the country.
Acknowledging the remote judging process, she wrote, “Our judges around the nation, in various states of lockdown, used their phones, video calls and even their home kitchens to judge produce.
“Meanwhile, our annual judges’ portraits were taken remotely by celebrated photographer Hugh Stewart via iPhone, no less! We all missed the togetherness from our annual round table national judging, but perhaps 2020 has offered the greatest opportunity to come together yet. For the very first time, [you’ll] be able to join in the virtual awards and annual cook up that ensues.
“Congratulations to all the incredible producers, it’s a privilege to work with you!”
You can read Gerry and Kerries’ full letters about the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards in the November 2020 issue of delicious. magazine.
2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards Trophy & Gold Medal Winners
Now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. The winners of the 2020 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards!
FROM THE DAIRY
Elgaar Farm – Organic Fresh Cream – TAS
Gold Medal Winners:
- Bruny Island Cheese Company – George – TAS
- Dellendale Creamery – Nullaki – WA
- Gelato Messina – Gelato Messina Jersey Milk – VIC
- High Valley Cheese Co – Fetta – NSW
- Holy Goat Cheese – Brigid’s Well – VIC
- Jardin Estate – Salted Butter – WA
- Maleny Dairies – Maleny Dairies Real Cream – QLD
- Milawa Cheese Company – King River Gold – VIC
- Mungalli Creek Dairy – Mungalli Creek Biodynamic Quark – QLD
- Pecora Dairy – Curly Red – NSW
- Shaw River Buffalo Cheese – Shaw River Buffalo Yoghurt – VIC
- The Dairyman Barossa – Artisan Farm Cream – SA
- The Pines – Pearl – NSW
FROM THE EARTH
Fruit Forest Farm – Seasonal Tropical Fruit – QLD
Gold Medal Winners:
- Black Barley Australia – Black Barley Australia – WA
- Bloomfield Vanilla – Bloomfield River Premium Natural Vanilla Beans – QLD
- Boon Luck Farm – Tiger Striped Peanuts – NSW
- Eladnelle Farm – Eladnelle Farm Saffron – TAS
- Felds Farm – Seasonal Annual Vegetables – TAS
- Garry Kadwell – Andean Sunrise Potatoes – NSW
- Jema McCabe at Burnside Organic Farm – Seasonal Organic Produce (Autumn Root, Leaf & Fruiting Crops) – WA
- Kindred Organics – Certified Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour – TAS
- King Oyster Mushrooms – Snowflake Mushroom – VIC
- Malfroy’s Gold – Malfroy’s Gold Wild Honey – Blue Mountains World Heritage Post-brood Polyflora Wild Honey – NSW
- Mountain Yuzu – Fresh Yuzu – VIC Newcastle Greens – Calvin Lamborn Pea Varietals – NSW
- Ngeringa Produce – Ngeringa Biodynamic Salad Greens – SA
- Otway Walnuts – Fresh Walnut Kernels – VIC
- Piccolo Farm – Purple Oxalis, Japanese Turnips – NSW
- Singing Magpie Produce – Black Genoa Semi Sun Dried Figs – SA
- Tellurian Fruit Gardens – Certified Organic Fruit (Nectarine, Pear) – VIC
- The Colony Concept – Southern Forests Jarrah Honey – WA
- The Food Philosophy by Stix Farm – Seasonal Fresh Produce (Selection of Best in Field) – NSW
- Urban Green Sydney – Microgreens (Broad Bean Shoots, Micro Anise Hyssop, Melon Leaf, Micro Red Shiso) – NSW
- Tucker Bush Fresh Botanicals – Tucker Bush Native Thyme – WA
FROM THE PADDOCK
Hamlet Pork – Pastured Berkshire Pork – WA
Gold Medal Winners:
- Arundel Farm – Arundel Farm Lamb – TAS
- Bendele Farm Organic Poultry – Bendele Farm Organic Spatchcock – QLD
- Bundarra Berkshires – Bundarra Free Range Pork – NSW
- Extraordinary Pork – Pasture Raised Free Range Pork – NSW
- Fair Game Wild Venison – Fair Game Wild Venison – NSW
- Futari Wagyu – Futari Wagyu – WA
- Highfield Farm & Woodland – Highfield Farm & Woodland Grass-fed Dorper Lamb – NSW
- Mayura Station – Mayura Station Signature Series – SA
- McIvor Farm Foods – McIvor Farm Berkshire Free Range Pork – VIC
- Mottainai Lamb – Mottainai Lamb – WA
- Nomad Farms – Nomadic Pastured Heritage Chook – SA
- Sher Wagyu – Sher Wagyu F1 Black Label Beef – VIC
- Warialda Belted Galloway Beef – Warialda Belted Galloway 100% Grass-fed Heritage Beef – VIC
FROM THE SEA
Bruce Collis – Seasonal Wild Catch – VIC
Gold Medal Winners:
- ABLP – Hard Shell Bay Lobster – QLD
- Ausab – Yumbah Greenlip Abalone (Whole in Shell) – SA
- Australia’s Oyster Coast – Appellation Oysters Wagonga – NSW
- Cape Moreton Scarlet Prawns – Cape Moreton Scarlet Prawns – QLD
- Chris Bolton Fishing – Seasonal Wild Catch (Garfish) – QLD
- Collison Reef Fish – Seasonal Wild Catch (Coral Trout) – QLD
- FV Bowithick – Bowithick Double Iki Jime Dhufish – WA
- Goolwa PipiCo – Live & Fresh, De-sanded and Ready to Cook Pipis – SA
- Kinkawooka Mussels – Kinkawooka Mussels – SA
- Mimosa Rock Oysters – The Boxer – NSW
- Rocky Point Aquaculture – Cobia – QLD
- Shark Bay Seafood’s – Wild Scampi Caviar – WA
- Tathra Oysters – Tathra Oysters 5 Year Old Bistro Grade – NSW
- Two Gulfs Crab – Blue Swimmer Crab Meat – SA
- Wapengo Rocks Wild Organic Oysters – Premium Grade Wapengo Rock Oyster – NSW
- West Coast Octopus – West Coast Octopus – WA
BEST NEW PRODUCT
Cape Moreton Scarlet Prawns – Cape Moreton Scarlet Prawns – QLD
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR | PRESENTED BY HARVEY NORMAN
Garry Kadwell – Andean Sunrise Potatoes – NSW
IN THE BOTTLE
Voyager Craft Malt – NSW
Prue Henschke – Henschke Wines – SA
OUTSTANDING FARMERS’ MARKET
Mullumbimby Farmers’ Market – NSW
- Alphington Farmers’ Market – VIC
- Kiama Farmers’ Market – NSW
Great Wrap – VIC
OUTSTANDING REGION | PRESENTED BY TOURISM AUSTRALIA
OUTSTANDING INNOVATION, SUSTAINABILITY AND COMMUNITY
Provenir – VIC
UNEARTHED NEXT GEN PRODUCER
Luke and Pia Winder – Tathra Place Free Range – NSW
UNEARTHED NEXT GEN CHEF
Kane Pollard – Topiary – SA
OUTSTANDING NATIVE PRODUCER
Leila Nimbadja – Maningrida Wild Foods – NT
Small World Bakery – SA
MAGGIE BEER AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO AUSTRALIAN FOOD
See What Happened at Last Year’s Produce Awards
Before you watch this year’s virtual Produce Awards All-Star Dinner Party, you might like to see what happened at last year’s Produce Awards, which took place live from the Sydney State Theatre!