Anyone that’s ever faced the first hole of a beautiful golf course bathed in sparkling sunshine knows that golf is one of the greatest pastimes. Anyone that’s ever shanked that first drive also knows what four-time majors winner, Ray Floyd, meant when he said “They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken!”
We too know the feeling of a tough day out on the fairway, which is why the Harvey Norman Connected Fitness Golf range is full of state-of-the-art technology designed to help you improve your game and achieve your best. It’s also why we’ve compiled the following tips from some legends of the game!
- “Be conscious of your grip” – Jack Nicklaus, winner of 18 majors between 1962 and 1986 / Greg Norman, winner of two majors between 1986 and 1993.
Greg Norman has said that the best tip he ever received was given to him in 1986 by Jack Nicklaus. “Be conscious of your grip”, The Golden Bear told The Great White Shark, right before Norman won the first of his two majors at The Open in Britain. Ignore this tip from two of the greats at your peril!
- “Footwork fuels good iron play” and “Maintain a quiet head for solid ball-striking and iron play” and “(Club)face up in the rough” – Tiger Woods, winner of 14 majors between 1997 and 2008.
Love him or hate him, Tiger is undoubtedly a once-in-a-generation player. After a rough couple of years, Woods is on the upswing, having recently reclaimed his world number one ranking. You can therefore be sure that the plethora of tips Tiger provides on his website – tigerwoods.com – are invaluable. The three tips we’ve listed are just the tip of the iceberg, and, of course, he goes into a detailed analysis of each point.
- “I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game: It’s called an eraser” – Arnold Palmer, winner of seven majors between 1958 and 1970.
You weren’t expecting a tip on improving your short ball game from a seven time major winner, were you? There’s a reason they called him ‘The King’, and it wasn’t because he was handing out free putting tips willy-nilly. We’ll have to give serious consideration to adding some erasers and whiteout to our golfing range though!
- “(For driving) the most important thing is hitting it down the middle. So swing within yourself. The club will do the work for you as long as hit the ball down the middle” – Adam Scott, winner of The 2013 Masters.
Adam Scott is the biggest name in Australian golf today. This year he took it to the next level by becoming the first Australian to win a major at Augusta. We think he’ll be the first of many, just as long as he keeps on dishing out the tips to Aussie kids.
- “Just tap it in” – Chubbs Peterson, former golf pro and mentor to Happy Gilmore.
Simple but effective advice from the former alligator-fighting golf pro, Chubbs, in the 1996 film Happy Gilmore. Just don’t get angry like Happy did if it doesn’t work out for you: “Just tap it in, give it a little tappy, tap tap taperoo!”
Check out our up-to-date Golf range to further improve your game. Also, be sure to view the full Harvey Norman Connected Fitness & Health range to help you achieve your best, no matter what your physical pursuit may be!