Some are sweet, others are sassy, but all these “TV moms” are super-supportive of their broods, bringing love and laughter to our screens over the years.
Stay-at-home Mums of Television
- Carol Brady (The Brady Bunch) sets the benchmark for TV mums for millions of people around the world by juggling three daughters of her own as well as three stepsons. Apparently, the only thing she can’t do was cook – thank goodness for Alice!
- June Cleaver (Leave It To Beaver) is the perfect American housewife of the ‘50s.
- Marion Cunningham (Happy Days) offers motherly advice for all, even Arthur “The Fonz” Fonzarelli.
- Norma Arnold (The Wonder Years) is the quintessential homemaker amidst the rise of feminism in the ‘60s.
- Edna Garrett (The Facts Of Life) is the mother figure of a dormitory at an all-girls private school.
Mother’s Day Gift Idea: Domestic goddesses will appreciate unwinding at the end of the day with a massager.
Animated Mums of Television
- Marge Simpson (The Simpsons) is the matriarch of TV’s —arguably — most dysfunctional (definitely most yellow) family. Her patience is tested by Bart, Lisa, Maggie and Homer (d’oh!), but amidst the madness, Marge is often the (scratchy) voice of reason.
- Lois Griffin (Family Guy) is the suburban mum with a naughty streak.
- Wilma Flintstone (The Flintstones) is the level-headed mum always bailing husband Fred out of trouble.
- Jane Jetson (The Jetsons) is the dutiful mother and wife with a keen interest in fashion and gadgets.
- Liane Cartman (South Park) is accused of being — among other things — a racist, promiscuous hermaphrodite.
Mother’s Day Gift Idea: TV mums will never miss their favourite shows with a PVR (Personal Video Recorder).
Working Mums of Television
- Claire Huxtable (The Cosby Show) manages to be a great wife to hubby Dr Heathcliff and mother to her kids, despite the stress of working as a successful attorney. Loving, warm and witty, she’s also a firm but fair disciplinarian when the moment arises.
- Elyse Keaton (Family Ties) works from home as an architect.
- Angela Bower (Who’s The Boss?) is a divorced advertising executive.
- Maggie Malone Seaver (Growing Pains) is a TV reporter.
- Christine Campbell (The New Adventures of Old Christine) is the owner of a women’s gym.
Yummy Mummies of Television
- Gloria Delgado-Pritchett (Modern Family) is the feisty “mamacita” with plenty of love for her husband Jay and sensitive son Manny. With the looks, the curves and that irresistible Colombian accent, Gloria isn’t afraid to speak her mind – the trademark grammatical gaffes only endear her to us even more.
- Betty Draper (Mad Men) is the gorgeous gal with an amazing wardrobe.
- Gabrielle Solis (Desperate Housewives) is the fiery Latina on Wisteria Lane.
- Karen van der Beek (Californication) is the gorgeous mamma with the hippie sensibility.
- Becky Katsopolis (Full House) is mum to twin boys Nicholas and Alexander.
Mother’s Day Gift Idea: Hot mammas will adore looking their best with these hair styling products.
Unconventional Mums of Television
- Peggy Bundy (Married With Children) sports big red hair, leopard-print Spandex pants and sky-high heels. She doesn’t cook, clean or work, instead, choosing to ignore the familial frenzy around her by plonking herself on the couch to watch Oprah and eat bon bons.
- Roseanne Conner (Roseanne) pulls no punches with her brand of tough love.
- Nancy Botwin (Weeds) deals marijuana to support her family.
- Morticia Addams (The Addams Family) is the vampish matriarch of this spooky litter.
- Evelyn Harper (Two and a Half Men) is as self-centred and conceited as her damaged son Charlie.
Mother’s Day Gift Idea: Out-there mums will love the connectivity — Facebook, Twitter etc — of a smartphone.
Spoil your Mum this Mother’s Day — or any time of the year —with a great gift from Harvey Norman.