Christmas is almost here – and what better way to celebrate than with friends, family and this splendid maple-glazed ham recipe!
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hour
Maple-glazed Ham Ingredients
• 350g fine-cut orange marmalade
• 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
• 1/2 firmly packed cup (125g) brown sugar
• 1 cup (250ml) orange juice or apple juice
• 6kg whole leg ham on the bone
• Whole cloves, to stud
Maple-glazed Ham Method
1. Place marmalade, syrup, sugar and juice in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until marmalade dissolves. Increase heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
2. Preheat oven to 170°C. Use a small sharp knife to cut around ham shank in a zig-zag pattern. Carefully run knife under the skin, around the edge of the ham. Gently lift off skin in one piece by running your fingers between the rind and the fat, and discard. Using a small sharp knife, score the fat in a diamond pattern, then press one clove into each diamond.
3. Pour enough water in a large roasting pan to come 2cm up the side (this will prevent the glaze burning as it drips). Place a wire rack in the pan and place ham on rack. Cover shank with foil.
4. Brush ham with a little glaze and bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with remaining glaze and adding more water, if necessary, until golden.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature with caramel mandarins with cranberries.
Christmas Dessert Recipes
Now that you’ve got the ham sorted, it’s time to get cracking on dessert! To help you, we’ve put together six showstopping Christmas dessert recipes: