Slides & Swing Sets Buying Guide
Purchasing Slides & Swings Sets
When shopping for slides and swing sets keep the following in mind:
- It is essential to measure the amount of space you can dedicate to playground equipment carefully. Be sure to leave sufficient clearance around the equipment for children to land in safely.
- Choose slides and swings that have the safety features that your kids will need. For example, younger children are likely to need swings with back support to aid their balance.
- Shop for playground equipment that suits the age and weight of your children. For example, lightweight, plastic apparatus may not be sturdy enough for children over the age of 6.
- Aim to purchase a slide or swing set that will enable all your kids to play together. A single swing, for example, is unlikely to be enough for a household with three children.
Types of Slides & Swing Sets
Slides provide hours upon hours of entertainment for kids of all ages. Easy-to-assemble and easy-to-use, slides are a welcome addition to virtually any yard or garden.
- Pay attention to the height of the slide when making a purchase, particularly if it to be used by young children and toddlers. In this instance, it is advisable to keep slide height under 1m.
- Most slides feature a straight run for maximum speed. However, slides with a bumpy run that add an extra dimension to the fun are also readily available.
- If you are shopping for a slide for indoor use, be sure to opt for a model that features a lightweight, collapsible design so you can store it out of the way with ease.
An all-time favourite, swings are a staple for any playground. Swing sets come with a variety of features so be aware of the following when making your purchase:
- Shop for a swing set that matches the age of your child. Swings with back support help to aid balance; while height adjustable seats allow for greater versatility.
- While single-seat swings are fun, two-seat swings can add a social element to playtime and increase the enjoyment for all involved.
- Where possible, shop for swing sets with anti-wrap features. This will prevent your swing seats from becoming tangled around the frame.
Playgrounds offer fun ways for your kids to engage with their friends. Fitted with swings, slides and more, playground sets will keep your kids entertained for longer than individual play equipment.
- Playgrounds are available with swings, slides, climbing walls, ropes, tree houses and even sandpits. Choose the combination that best suits your kids.
- Easy-to-assemble and adjust, modular playgrounds allow you to tailor the set up to suit the shape of your yard - ideal for irregular gardens.
- While purchasing equipment that your younger kids can grow into seems ideal, you should choose a playground that is designed to be safer and easier for smaller children to use.
Features of Slides & Swing Sets
The material used to construct the frame of any slide, swing set or playground affects what it looks like and how durable it is. Consider the following when choosing:
- Plastic playsets are often affordable, easy-to-assemble, lightweight and weather-resistant, making them perfect for younger users.
- Timber frames are sturdy, durable and look great in virtually any yard. There is, however, a slight risk of splinters and warping over time.
- Metal frames are a happy medium between plastic and wood. Robust with longer lifespans, these can accommodate most users.
There are several safety considerations to be aware of when setting up and using your swing set, slide or playground.
- Ensure that the ground beneath the entirety of the playset is soft. Consider adding protective mats to areas where the fall height exceeds 1m.
- Make sure there is sufficient clearance on all sides of the equipment. Remember to account for obstacles that lie in front of and behind a swing set when deciding your set up.
- It is advisable to shop for a slide or playground with handrails, particularly if it includes steep ladders or stairs. Where applicable, shop for equipment with ground anchors.
Outdoors Toys Essentials
Trampolines are a great way to unwind and maintain or develop fitness. Choose from a wide range of trampolines of varying styles and shapes and find the perfect model for your yard.
Sandboxes allow your kids to enjoy the fun of the beach from the comfort of your own home. Sandboxes are available in a number of shapes and sizes so you can find the one you need.
Cubby houses provide your kids with a space they can call their own. As well as encouraging outdoor play, they also double as a sunshade so your kids can safely enjoy the heat of the summer.