Toilet Buying Guide
Purchasing a Toilet
Consider the following when shopping for toilets:
- It is essential to measure the available space in your bathroom carefully before making a purchase. Remember to leave enough space for opening drawers and cabinet doors.
- Consider WELS ratings when making a purchase. New homes require at least a 4-star rating, while for renovations on existing homes a 3-star rating will suffice.
- It is advisable to choose a toilet that matches the existing plumbing in your bathroom. All toilets should be fitted by a professional plumber.
- Consider comfort and toilet height when making a purchase. Taller users, for example, are likely to find a taller toilet easier to use.
Types of Toilets
Close coupled toilets tend to be the most common, the most affordable and the least complicated type of toilet to install. They are available in a range of styles to suit any home.
- Perhaps the main appeal of close coupled toilets is that the pan and the cistern are sold together as one unit. This makes these toilets extremely easy to shop for and, invariably, easy to install.
- While they are available in a range of shapes and styles, close coupled toilets are almost always sleek and streamlined because all pipes are concealed within the unit itself.
Back-to-wall toilets are similar to close coupled toilets insofar as they too are sold as pan and cistern pairs. However, the big difference here is that both elements sit flush against the wall.
- Back-to-wall toilet suites look sophisticated and feature a relatively compact footprint. Additionally, because these units sit flush against the wall, you don’t ever have to clean down the back of the toilet.
- As with close coupled toilets, back-to-wall toilets have an exposed cistern. This means you will be able to access it with ease if you ever need to perform any minor repairs.
Wall Faced Pan
Wall faced pans are similar to back-to-wall toilets except for the fact that they feature a concealed cistern. Cisterns are either installed within the wall or within a cabinet. Either way, the result is a striking toilet.
- Wall faced pans are a great way to create a sense of space in your bathroom. Note, however, that they are not always sold with a cistern so you may have to purchase one separately.
- Wall concealed cisterns create a modern feel within your bathroom and are perfect for homes with contemporary features and designs.
- Wall faced pans that can pair with a cistern that is built into a cabinet offer a great way to create clean lines throughout your bathroom and make use of all available space without having to open up any walls.
Wall Hung Pan
Wall hung or floating toilets are similar to wall faced pans except for the fact that they are raised from the floor. This works to create a truly modern feel and a greater sense of space in your bathroom.
- Wall hung toilets make it extremely easy to clean down the sides and underneath your toilet so you can achieve a deeper level of home cleaning.
- Wall hung toilets are ideal for anyone who is renovating their bathroom in line with a more modern aesthetic.
- One of the main advantages of the mount, however, is that you can adjust the height of the toilet to suit your needs. This will be of particular interest to taller users and those with limited mobility.
Water efficiency is an important consideration when choosing a toilet for your home. Be aware of the following when making your choice:
- As with many other products such washing machines, toilets are given a WELS (water efficiency and labelling standards) rating which is an indication of how much water it uses against its size.
- WELS uses an easy-to-read star system. The more stars a product has the more water efficient it is.
Toilet height can make a difference to the look and feel of your bathroom. However, and perhaps more importantly, it can also impact upon how easy your toilet is to use. Consider the following:
- Most toilets measure about 15" in height, which is likely to be sufficient for the majority of users.
- However, it is possible to purchase taller models that offer an extra inch or two. Sometimes referred to as easy height toilets, these will be of interest to taller users and anyone with limited mobility.
- One of the main advantages of wall hung toilet is that they can often be set to different heights during installation. Bear this in mind if you are giving your bathroom a complete overhaul.
Toilet Set Out & Traps
Toilet traps dictate how waste water flows from your toilet. There are three types: S-trap, P-trap and Uni-trap. To keep installation simple, it is advisable to choose the trap that matches your existing plumbing.
- S-trap toilets send waste through the floor to your pipes. S-trap toilets are the most common variety in Australia, but are not universal so be sure to measure and match the set out carefully.
- P-trap toilets expel waste water through the back of the toilet and through the wall. Most P-traps are standard so installation should be relatively straightforward though it is always advisable to double check before you buy.
- Uni-trap toilets can be adjusted to suit either type. However, as before, it is still advisable to check measurements carefully to avoid any complications during installation.
Additional Features to Look For
Toilets are available with a number of features. Keep an eye out for some of the following when making your selection:
- Toilets with soft closing seats and lids add an element of luxury to any bathroom. They also reduce the chances of seats becoming damaged by falling.
- Toilets are available with a range of flushing technologies. Toilets with rimless designs, for example, project water around the entirety of the bowl and make it easier to clean.
- For increased flexibility when establishing the layout of your bathroom, consider a toilet with remote flush options which allow you to set the buttons on a counter top up to 4m away from the toilet.
Toilet Roll Holders
Add the finishing touches to your new bathroom with toilet roll holders that match your other fixtures and fittings. Shop toilet roll holders in a range of styles and find the one that’s right for you.
Toilet Brush Sets
Just because a toilet brush is a necessity, it doesn’t mean that it has to be ugly. Shop a wide variety of toilet brushes and holders that won’t detract from your new bathroom.
Bins &Waste Baskets
Find the bins and waste baskets that match your new bathroom fixtures and fittings. Choose from bins of varying shapes, sizes and colours to find the one that matches your new bathroom interior.