Tablet Accessories Buying Guide
Consider the following when shopping for tablet accessories:
- Always check compatibility before you buy an accessory. iPads, for example, cannot be used with a mouse.
- Choose the accessory that suits your lifestyle. For example, if you use your tablet in the field, you may wish to consider a rugged case with dust and water resistance.
- If your tablet is WiFi only and you use it for working away from your desk, consider opting for personal WiFi or MiFi so you can get Internet access wherever you are.
A wireless keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard can help you bridge the gap between tablet and laptop — in some cases this gap can be bridged all the way to a desktop replacement.
- By connecting your tablet to an external monitor and a wireless keyboard, you can use your tablet like a desktop computer. When heading down this route, consider a full-size keyboard as this will make for a more comfortable user experience.
- If you have a variety of mobile devices, consider shopping for a universal keyboard that will allow you to use it on your smartphone and tablet regardless of their make.
- For the ultimate in portability, look to a keyboard cover. Keyboard covers feature a lightweight keyboard that protects the screen when not in use so you can reduce the threat of impact damage and get more done.
Mice & Styluses
A mouse or stylus enables you to work with greater accuracy on your tablet. A stylus also enables you to use your device as a graphics tablet.
- There is a wide variety of mice on the market so be sure to choose one that suits how you use your tablet. Those that work on-the-go, for example, should opt for a compact Bluetooth mouse with a long battery life.
- A stylus can help you select any icon or button with ease. They can be really useful when you are performing intricate tasks like trimming video clips and editing photos.
- A stylus also enables you take your drawings to the next level. Serious artists should look out for styli with pressure sensitivity and angle sensors.
Protect Your Device
Cases & Covers
Tablet cases protect your device from impact and incidental damage when you are at home and on-the-go. As with most accessories, there is a lot of choice so consider the following:
- Choose the case that suits how you use your tablet. If you use your tablet for business presentations, for example, choose a slim, lightweight case with a quality finish.
- If you like to use your tablet to watch videos or to type longer documents, consider a case with a built-in kickstand or cover that can be used to stand your tablet upright or to lift it off the desk for a more comfortable typing angle.
- Always ensure that any case you buy offers clear access to all the device’s ports and functions. A good case will never impede functionality at the cost of protection.
Sleeves & Bags
Tablet sleeves and bags with dedicated tablet compartments offer an increased level of cushioning and protection for your device. They also make it easier to take your tablet with you wherever you go.
- Always opt for a sleeve with a layer of cushioning on the inside. Thankfully, there is a wide variety of sleeves in a huge number of colours and designs so you won’t be short of options.
- Backpacks with a dedicated, padded tablet compartment make it easy for you to take your device with you wherever you go. They are ideal for photographers as they have space for any accompanying equipment.
- You can also shop for tablet sleeves and bags that are designed to complement professional attire. Choose from the likes of handbags with padded tablet compartments and arrive at your meeting in style.
Tablet stands help you create a more comfortable working position by raising your tablet towards eye level.
- Tablet stands that can be positioned on, or attached to, a table will hold you tablet at eye level. This means you won’t have to stoop down to email, write documents or make video calls.
- Microphone stand adapters are ideal for anyone who needs to read lyrics when singing or notes when giving a speech. Discreet and easy-to-set up, they can take your work to new heights.
- Always be sure to check that your tablet will fit inside the clamps of a tablet stand. If in doubt, opt for a universal tablet stand that is designed to accommodate devices of all sizes.
Cables & Adapters
Tablets are designed to be highly connective so you can use them in conjunction with your existing devices and equipment. Look out for the following when shopping for tablet accessories:
- Many tablets are compatible with adapters or cables that allow you to connect them to your TV or monitor so you can enjoy your favourite apps and programs on a big screen.
- Some tablets feature a built-in SD or Micro SD reader. Other tablets can be paired with SD card readers you can access content saved on cameras and other devices through your tablet.
- Some tablets can be paired with docking stations that greatly increase connectivity. They also hold the tablet at an angle so you can enjoy handsfree usage.
Tablets can be combined with a number of storage devices that allow you to transfer files with ease and increase the available capacity.
- If your tablet has a USB port then you can easily save, access and transfer files to and from your device to a mass storage device. These range from thumb drives to portable hard drives.
- If you are a film lover but you can’t fit your collection on to your tablet, consider a wireless media drive that will allow you to stream HD content to your tablet without a cable or an Internet connection.
- By connecting a hard drive to the router in your home network, you can create a centralised NAS system. With such a setup you can access all your music, movies and TV without filling up your tablet's storage.
There are few things more frustrating than when your tablet runs out of power. Thankfully, there is a range of accessories to ensure that never happens.
- Portable power banks ensure you always have a spare energy supply when you are out and about. Small and lightweight, these can even be carried around in your pocket.
- Car charger kits ensure your tablet can be by your side throughout even the longest of journeys.
- A spare charger or cable will never go unused. Keep one at home or in your desk drawer and never get caught short when you need your tablet the most.
Streaming devices like the Apple TV and Google Chromecast enable you to connect your tablet to your TV or audio equipment to get even more from your favourite tracks, shows and films.
- Small and compact, media streaming devices fit seamlessly into your home media set up. They require no complicated installation and no ongoing subscriptions or fees. (Note that this many not be the case for the apps that you stream to the device).
- Always choose a media streaming device that works with your tablet. The Apple TV for example, will work perfectly with compatible Apple iPads.
- Media streaming is not just limited to TVs. Airplay and Chromecast Audio enable you to stream audio to compatible devices so you can enjoy your favourite tracks with a big sound.
Portable Bluetooth speakers are a great way to share your favourite music with your friends and family no matter where you are.
- Pay attention to the Bluetooth range when shopping for a portable speaker. Some speakers can be linked together to carry the music all around your home.
- Many portable speakers are waterproof or especially durable against knocks and drops. These are ideal for parties or outdoor listening.
- Choose a portable speaker with a battery life that will suit how you intend to use it. Some models offer as much as 15 hours’ usage so you can keep the party going all night.
Get the most from your accessories by working on a tablet that features the latest hardware and software. Faster, thinner and lighter, the latest tablets take computing to new heights.
Situated between smartphones and tablets, phablets represent the ultimate in portable productivity. Phablets are ideal for those who don’t carry a bag but want to work on-the-go.
Smartphones have become integral to our daily lives. Upgrade to a new handset and enjoy a fluid, responsive performance and access to all the latest and greatest apps in the palm of your hand.